Victorian Orchids of the Year - 2013
The judging for these awards has now been completed and all the winners can be found on the Orchids of the Year pages or using this link . The Victorian Orchid of the Year for 2013 was Phragmipedium caudatum 'Charlotte' AM/OSCOV and was grown by Dieter Weise. This is the second year in a row he has won this competition with a species. The flowers were 840mm long and very clean and I am sure all would agree a worthy winner.
The Victorian Best Cultured Orchid of the Year for 2013 and the Memoria Gunter Haar Award was the species Masdevallia glandulosa 'Tutu' CC/OSCOV. This plant was grown by Marita Anderson and Chris Waterman and is the second year in a row they have won this award with a masdevallia, this year with a species.
Melbourne Orchid Spectacular
Friday 22nd August - Sunday 24th August
OSCOV is pleased to announce that details for the 2014 Spectacular have now been set:
- Exhibitor display set-up & exhibit registration: Wednesday 20 August 2014: from 8:30am until 4:00pm
- Judging: Thursday 21 August 2014: from 8:30am
- Vendor hall set-up: Thursday 21 August 2014: from 9:00am
- Open to the public: Friday 22 August: 9:00am to 5:00pm, Saturday 23 August: 9:00am to 5:00pm and Sunday 24 August: 9:00am to 4:00pm
Please put those dates in your diaries!
The most significant change from 2013 is that the Spectacular will be held in 2014 at the Victorian Canine Association facility at ‘KCC Park’, 655 Western Port Highway, Skye, Vic 3977.
OSCOV itself will manage the trade function at the Spectacular in 2014. In addition – it is expected that there will be additional vendors of orchids or orchid products. These are likely to include Devon Meadows Orchids, Royale Orchids and additional vendors offering other types of plants such as bromeliads, ferns, bulbs, African violets, cacti and succulents.
The OSCOV Executive is currently negotiating arrangements with potential international flask vendors.
More details will follow over the next few weeks.
This has just been updated and now contains well over 1700 pictures of mostly awarded orchids. The plants are listed by what is now the currently accepted name for that plant. This includes the changes in the Laeliinea, Onciidiinae and Vandacious groups. The gallery can be found on this link If there are any errors please let me know on firstname.lastname@example.org
Victorian Country Clubs Challenge
Saturday 5th July and Sunday 6th July
McIntosh Centre, Shepparton
The Country Clubs Challenge information has been updated and can be found on this link This is a show well worth going to and I have not missed a single show. It would be the second best orchid event in Victoria behind the Melbourne Orchid Spectacular.
OSCOV has a couple of copies of the current Orchid Wiz program for sale. The cost is $150 which is half retail price. To obtain a copy (which can be used on 2 computers) contact John Skews on (03) 9439 8890.
Melbourne Orchid Spectacular
The show is now over and all the results have been updated and pictures added. Information about next years show will be published as soon as we have made decisions following a review of this show.
Following the AGM there has been a number of changes to the OSCOV executive. Bill Miles a past president has decided to step down. He has been a great worker for OSCOV, on the executive for 18 years and will be sadly missed. Also Ern Kettle has decided to stand down. Ern was on the executive since it formed over 21 years ago, the first 20 as Judging Registrar. He will be greatly missed by all. Michael Coker has become the President with Stephen Early taking over the Past Presidents position. Geoff Bailey has become a Vice President with Marita Anderson coming on to the executive as Assistant Secretary and Chris Waterman coming on as Promotions officer.
- Each Society has been granted space (free of charge) on this site for their own web page. These are now posted and will be updated as more information is made available. Eventually It is hoped that members of many of these Societies will look after their own sites and be able to update them more often than is possible for one or two volunteers. As for now you can simply find a society on the map of Victoria or Melbourne and click to go to that Society's web site.
- Under Articles you will find a collection of 87 articles from Orchids in Victoria and More Orchids in Victoria on a wide range of topics. More will come later.
- Under the Photo Gallery you will find over 1000 pictures of awarded orchids and other orchids. Each is thumb-nailed with a larger picture available. More will be added later.
- Under Awards there is a complete list of all awarded orchids. This will be updated as more awards are added and be linked to relevant pictures in the future.
- Under Conservation find a list of many of the conservation activities in Australia.
- Under Links there is a list of many valuable links. This will be expanded in the future and has already been updated once.
- Under Judges you will find a list of all OSCOV Judges
- Under Executive there is a list of all Executive Members and their phone numbers.
- Under About Us find a description of what OSCOV is and what it does for its clubs.
- Details on how to join the Free Online Orchid Group and keep up to date on orchid events in Victoria.
- Who to Contact and get information about this site and orchids in Victoria.
- The last seven Victorian Orchids of the Year winners, together with articles by Brian Milligan about the winners for each of the last three year's winners.
- Information about all exclusive Publications and badges available from OSCOV and where to get them. This includes the Orchids in Victoria series of books. Please note that while the first Volume is sold out the articles from this can be found under the articles section of this web site. Copies of Volume 3, 4 and 5 are still available. These books will not be reprinted.
- A list of all upcoming Shows as soon as OSCOV is informed of these details. Some shows are already listed.